Sunday, July 27, 2014

Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden at DTE July 26, 2014

Hey folks. Long night but I am back and I had a great time seeing NIN & Soundgarden at DTE in Clarkston, MI. I had to remember back and that I discovered NIN around 1993 or early 1994 and always vowed I'd see them live. But it took 20 years to do so!! Certainly, they did not dissapoint. I'm not a massive Soundgarden guy but I like three of their albums.

Soundgarden: Played all the hits. Some good stuff from BADMOTORFINGER and SUPERUNKNOWN. I woulda loved hearing "Pretty Noose," but I was happy with what I got. Chris Cornell still has the voice, thats for damn sure. I was especially excited to see the drummer Matt Cameron, who drums with Soundgarden but also Pearl Jam. He's one of my favorite 90s drummers.




After a nice break where my buddy Matt and I acted like idiots...




Nine Inch Nails came on and they certainly put on a show. The stage had these rolling backdrops that changed every song. There really was an onslaught of songs with really no breaks. There was only one minor break toward the end where Trent addressed the audience. His voice and the music copied the albums to a capital T and sounded great. I heard complaints from people in the lawn area of the venue that NIN was quieter than Soundgarden but I didn't experience that. We got pavillion seats, so we were in the pink.








If I had ANY complaint on NIN's set was that they neglected to play anything from "The Fragile." I woulda loved hearing "the Wretched" or "Somewhat Damaged." Oh well. They played lots from pretty much all the albums from Pretty Hate Machine to Hesitation Marks. A visual treat. If you download my Morning Show Podcast episode #262, you will hear a bit of audio from the show. I also recorded little snippets of video I'll upload to Youtube at some point.

One cool thing that happened was inbetween sets, we were talking with a couple in front of us and I didn't say much. The dude mentioned he had kids and the wife and I could take our kids to a kid friendly beer place in Lansing he knew of. then I mentioned "Well, its hard for us to get out because my five year old has autism." And he said "whoa! Our four year old does too!" So we swapped autism parenting war stories for a bit. I woulda loved to talk to them a bit more about it, because autism parents love to chat about techniques that work and what not. But Trent walked on and interrupted us! HA!!! But thats the third time I casually mention my son's autism to a couple and they say they have the same thing going on with their kids! So weird. You think you are struggling alone as a parent and no one understands what you got on your plate and all around are people going through the same thing, silently. I just thought it was a cool moment.

Most of the people at the show were around my age, mid-30s. I saw no fights and no arseholes. Everyone was getting along, reliving their teen angst and enjoying every second. And both bands put on a damn good show and sounded just as good as they did 20 years ago. I am now assured that the 90's are very much alive and I'm glad they are still around. (and me too!)

If you get the chance to see this tour, I hereby recommend it.

T

No comments: