Friday, February 27, 2015

Live Long and Prosper, Leonard Nimoy


This is a day I knew would come. But it certainly doesn't make it any easier.

Today, beloved STAR TREK Icon, Leonard Nimoy is gone. An accomplished actor, director, musician, poet, photographer and so much more to so many people. He became the image of STAR TREK and was the reason a majority of females tuned into the show back in the 60s. Easily the most recognizable character in the series, and perhaps the most loved.

Leonard's portrayal of the half human/half alien character gave him lots to play off of, and we got to enjoy the journey every week on the show and eight different movies, a cartoon series, several novels, comic books and more. He's wrote autobiographies, recorded several music albums and has released a few art photography books, which you can find right HERE - My favorite was the full body project (pictured below). He was fond of silver geleton prints and had his own studio in his house. I recommend checking his photo work out.


When he started acting, he was doing all sorts of odd jobs to make ends meet and support his family. Then he got the iconic gig on Star Trek, and then he was typecast. He had difficulty getting anyone to see beyond the ears. But he did go on to direct some great films like Three Men and a Baby, also Star Trek III and IV, easily some of the best of the series. Going through the difficult hours of working and staying in character as the stern and unemotional Spock took its toll on him. He developed a drinking habit and also a major smoking habit. He quit 30 years ago, but the damage was done. He later developed COPD, and thats what did him in. It bums me out because its such a stupid disease and easily avoidable. How smoking can remain appealing after seeing someone die from it, like I have a few times in my life, I'll never know.


I got to meet him very briefly in 2009, shortly after the first JJ Abrams Trek came out. It was at San Diego Comic Con. He wasn't even scheduled to be there. I happened across this autograph booth that had an advert that Nimoy was going to be there tomorrow and it was $60. You had to pre-buya  ticket and stand in line. I wasn't into the idea. I had something to do at the time it said to be there. But I felt like I had to do it. When would I get the chance? So I bought the ticket and showed up the next day. I stood in line, about 10th in order and he came walking by. I couldn't believe how brisk he walked for a man his age. We got cattle called through the line very quickly. No time for photos, handshakes or personalized autographs. I got to the front, picked my photo and handed it to him. He signed it and handed it back. As he handed it back, I said "Hey man, thanks for coming out to see us here." And he replied with the biggest smile and said, "And thank YOU for coming to see ME!" And I walked away, staring at his smile that he gave me back. He didn't turn away to the next person until I turned my head. It seemed like forever. Like dude, you're staring too long at Spock. He's busy, move on! And move on I did. It almost hurt to turn away from the man. But what else was I gonna say to him. He'd been asked all the questions I had a million times. I really had nothing new to offer him. But I am glad I got that little moment with him. I just remember his smile back at me, giving me every single moment before I turned my head and he turned his to the next person. He never left my gaze until I left his. He coulda just moved on. He had a huge line of people! But no, he gave me every single moment he could. Its like we mind melded! HA!! I guess in my smiling gaze back, I wanted to show him that I really cared, I wasn't going to flip his autograph on ebay and I just met one of my heroes. I think he knew it in that moment too.

Leonard gave us a lot to remember him by. And I am sure in the days to come I shall re-dissect it all. I have a few of his books and all of his albums. Its gonna be weird to sit down and watch STAR TREK again, knowing he is no longer with us. But at least we got tons to see of him. I am sad because I am at an age where I am seeing my childhood icons leave me. But at least I can turn on the show, the movies or anything he gave us and relive it all again. In a way, Leonard will outlive all of us. And WE will be the ones to prosper from it.

SPOCK LIVES! He carry his Khatra with us always. "REMEMBER..." Indeed we shall.


---------TOP FIVE STAR TREK MOMENTS WITH SPOCK!---------

1-STAR TREK II: "I have been and always shall be your friend." You all know what I'm talking about.
2-"AMOK TIME" when he realizes that he didn't kill his friend, Captain Kirk, after all!
3-"THE NAKED TIME" His breakdown in the crew lounge. One take. So much to work through.
4-"UNIFICATION II" The TNG two parter with him in it. Best part was the very end. A nice button to the story of him and his father. They were always at odds. Picard offers him a chance to connect via mind meld to the thoughts of his dead father. Spock does and at as soon as he connect, he begins to cry hard, but controlled. In that moment you know that Sarek loved Spock and he finally knew it.
5-"JOURNEY TO BABEL" The entire episode where his parents visit. You really get a glimpse of what it was like for him as a child of two worlds, at odds with his father.

No comments: