Sunday, February 22, 2015

Post MSU Comics Forum Thoughts

Hello my friends, welcome back once again.

Things are okay here. I'm nursing a sprained left foot. I stepped in a damn pothole a couple nights ago and its got all swollen and puffy. I put down my swords and hit the doctor this morning. He thinks I MIGHT have gout, but I doubt it. The pain is not that severe. But it got all big, scary and puffy so I decided to head in to make sure. They gave me a cool little boot and crutches. I'm supposed to be off of work and leg elevated for a few days. So that will suck. I hate being couch ridden. But it will give me some time to check phone stuff and do some reading I suppose.

Yesterday was the MSU COMICS FORUM. I was looking forward to it. I haven't been to a show since Cherry Capital Con back in May. And that show wasn't the most memorable because my beloved cat Jake died while I was gone there. And of course, its been a rough year after that. So it was a good feeling to get out and set up shop somewhere again. I saw a lot of my old pals, met a couple new ones. The show itself was slow, but I didn't mind at all. I had a good time sitting and talking with Dean, Jay, Sherief, Daniel, Bruce and a few others. I didn't do any drawing at the show. Just kinda hung back and enjoyed myself. I was nursing a wounded limb anyway, so that was okay. But its always good to go back and fuel yourself with what everyone else is doing and what everyone you haven't met yet is coming out with.

One event that happened was a guy who reads my blog here came up and we had a long discussion about what he's gone through the last few years in his own life journey. He's been through a lot too and he felt inspired to talk to me about his life and how he's reflected what I've been saying the last few months. I can't tell you what those little moments mean to me. I've had quite a few of them over the years. Like when I started PLEASANT LIFE back in college and it was inspired by my mother's death. And I was sitting in a diner and that girl came up and recognized me from the TV spot on CMU TV and told me how my comic made her cry and reminded her of losing her grandpa recently. Every now and then I am gifted with a little moment of "Hey, I've been through that too and you're capturing the feeling of it well. Keep it up!" It feels amazing every time it happens. So thanks sir for coming up and meeting me and telling me your story. And I hope you enjoy the book you got from me. PLEASANT LIFE, my most personal work. Fitting that is the book he picked to buy! I appreciate it.

Overall I had a great time on Saturday at the show and I know I am looking forward to FCBD and the Grand Rapids show. And maybe one more show later in the fall. We'll see what the winds blow my way. But for now, GET SOME GODDAMN WORK DONE! HA!

The cold air in Michigan is quite unbareable. Its often -28 degrees below Zero. Mind numbingly cold. In my apartment it gets cold. But luckily I can snuggle under my blankets and keep warm. I got my warm house robe and slippers. And the warmth of a cup of coffee and Dylan on vinyl to keep me from freezing. I take my space heater to work and keep myself from shaking. This winter has been brutal! Or maybe its because I'm down 60 pounds and I have less fat keeping me warm! Well, a fair trade I suppose! I'm down to 314 and that feels AMAZING!

So things are going well. My foot is trying to get better, I'm in a gloriously happy mood lately. I'm even drawing again. Life is defintely on the mend. Crutches be damned!

Have a good week my friends!

T

No comments: