Friday, August 14, 2015

The Downside of Productivity

Hello friends! Its Friday and I am staring at a long weekend of over 24 hours at my second job and 24 hours of sleep and watching the kids. Weekends suck for me. Ups and downs. Quite a juggle. I hope that all changes soon. I'd like to be awake and refreshed for a nice week, and enjoy when my kids are here, instead of fighting sleep. But there are possibilities for change in the air. Lets hope it happens. (Vague, I know, but necessary)

Meanwhile, my extreme productivity streak continues. I got all my prints done for con season. Like, back from the printer and in plastic sleeves, DONE! I am in the middle of artworking for the new banner stands. Supplies are ordered and are here. I don't have a new show until late September and a major one in mid-October, but I am ready! Some things checked off the TO DO list. I'm busy designing for a much overdue face lift to the website here. As well as new avenues to monetize my work. I'm talking digital comics (finally!), T-shirts and a new digital comic via a subscription service like Patreon. All that is down the road in the 4th quarter of the year, but it is on the stove in various forms.

For now, the main focus is Starslam 2. I'm damn proud of where this thing is headed. I am about 3/4ths through the artwork and its getting to the good stuff. Some sex scenes and a big fight. It all leads into being one of the better books I have ever created. I can't wait for you all to see it. I am on schedule and its looking like October for Kickstarter launch.

I'm more productive than ever. But this comes at a price: I am behind on all things. I woke up the other day to realize, that we're in pre-season of the NFL. Holy crap!!! We don't have cable at my house so we're looking into other options for me to get my fix. No way am I missing games again this year. I missed out on the Playoffs and the Super Bowl for the first time in my life this year. Never again.

I'm also left out of the loop on whats going on in mainstream comics and movies/TV. I have not seen Captain America 2, Thor 2 or Avengers 2. I have not seen a second of Better Call Saul, Gotham, Flash, Arrow, Daredevil. Or any of Broadchurch, Sherlock season 3..... I am just behind. Truthfully, these things are not high on my personal priority list, but I am aware of them.  If anything, the only thing I keep up with is music. I am still loving the new Faith No More and Scott Weiland discs. But coming up we got new Ghost, Motorhead, Saxon and David Gilmour albums. I got the new Wilco one off Itunes for free, but haven't even touched listening to it yet. I bought a new Neil Gaiman book a few months back but haven't read a page of it.

I do enjoy these things, but there's more of a pull to keep my head down and just keep working. I feel the push and I am enjoying it. Sometimes I do feel like the nerds taking over the world is passing me by. I should be out enjoying the media instead of creating it. Ya'll feel me? Just once I'd like to sit down and enjoy something without some guilt. I have to wrestle with sitting down to enjoy anything. I'm in the mood for a nice murder mystery show like Sherlock or Poirot. But I can't indulge. Have to keep going! The media will always be there for me to enjoy. But the streak might leave me and then it will be a pile on my desk of unfinished business. And I got too much of that already.

So I shall continue to work hard and be as productive as I can.

No comments: