Saturday, November 21, 2015

Christmas and other such slappiness

Hey friends! Thought I would do a nice catch up blog. Let you know how things are going.

First off, progress on projects is rolling. Pages of Starslam 2 are getting colored. I got a couple commissions I am working on too which slows the process, but I appreciate the extra scratch for the holidays. My books are up on Kindle now and I am working on other avenues. I got offered my first con appearance for 2016, so I signed the paperwork and once I am on their website and all official, I'll tell you folks where it will be. But things are starting to gear up for the next year. If the snow cooperates this weekend, I'll be checking out my first horror convention and seeing the vibe and if I could make an impact there. I'm also looking at what small press show in 2016 I could do. I've never been to some of the bigger ones like SPACE, MOOCCA or SPX or the Toronto one. I'm talking with my oldest son to maybe go out to Seattle next year for PAX WEST. Just as a fan, not a set up. I'm not a video game guy at all. But I've always wanted to visit Seattle and I owe him a big trip. Building memories. You can't put a price on that.

Speaking of such things, its the weekend before Thanksgiving. I'm smack dab in the middle of my favorite time of year. I love Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Many who know me know I was raised a Jehovah's Witness during the time I was 9-16 years old. I missed out on a lot of stuff about holidays. Plus December has been a bummer of a month at various points in my past. Several key incidents happened during that month that just make it very difficult to feel "jolly" like others do. But something about the Christmas season makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and I am determined to make NEW memories and help wash away the old ones that linger. I'm here to celebrate and enjoy this time. And I am trying to make a bigger effort to do so. I'm finding that I'm not as jaded about it as I used to be. In fact, last night I went to the lighting of the tree ceremony here in downtown Lansing:

Here we are in the cold. Doctor Who scarf represent!

After the tree is lit, fireworks go off over the capital. Who doesn't like fireworks?
I've already insisted that we buy a new christmas tree and decorations. I already have, just waiting to put it up after Thanksgiving. I've already started buying Xmas presents for my girl and the kids. I gave my girl my list. Its not much but old NES games. I don't really care about presents. I care the most about just making new memories. Making a new standard in the holidays. I already celebrated Halloween more this year than previous. I actually got in a small costume and went to a party and had a party of my own here with dear friends, drinking and enjoying life. Thanksgiving I get my boys and I get to cook a huge turkey, potatoes, green beans, biscuits and chicken dumplings. Gloria's Chicken and Dumplings. I get to think about her too this holiday. I miss her greatly.

My dad came to visit last week and it was great to see him. He's getting along fine despite everything that has happened to him this year. He's staying busy and started dedicating his life back to the church. Yeah, the Jehovah's Witnesses. They are tearing down the old Pontiac Silverdome, where I spent four days of my summers sitting there for 10 hours a day listening to church sermons. Its all broken up and haggard. Coming down for good. I've told people about what it was like growing up in that religion and its nutty. But you gotta let people believe their beliefs. If it gives something to them and doesn't hurt anyone else, why let it bother you? So it goes. But growing up in that religion did some damage to me. But I look to erase that damage every year around the holidays.

The best part now is that I get to relive it through my kids now. I get to see their excitement and joy around this time. And when a stranger says "Merry Christmas" to me, I don't argue what PC version they should say to me instead. I just take in that joy. Sometimes fake joy, but I'll take it. Cause its better than the nothing I know we all are capable of.

I don't mind Christmas music either. In fact, I enjoy it. My coworker will stream Christmas music and it really puts me in a good mood. Everyone else wants it to turn off but I'm like, turn that shit up! Cause life is a ride and a celebration. Enjoy it. Cause being a scrooge or looking in the window at the people having a good time as you are out in the cold alone, sucks. Trust me, I know.

WHAT A GREAT TIME TO BE ALIVE!!! Not only do I get a shit ton of turkey and dumplings with my boys next week, but I get a new Rocky movie in CREED. We got a new Star Wars movie, less than a month away! Kurt Cobain had some demos and hidden songs released. new Ghostbusters toys are on their way. Its just a great fucking time to be here. All I got is smiles ear to ear. I'm in love with life right now. Much better than I was a year ago.

I'm celebrating life and all its little gifts. And despite what some fucking asshole group wants to scare us into feeling... all the way down to someone's snarky behavior of "Bah Humbug" around this time... We still have it in us to create joy and love in each corner of our tiny little world. It snuffs out the darkness and puts those who do us harm to justice. No terrorist group can take that down. We are HOPE. And hope is undefeated. As the great Stanley Kubrick said: "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." Not just for others... must most importantly, for ourselves. Make your soul rich, folks. Its a great way to be.

Peace and Love, ADAM T.

No comments: